Looking to buy a pre-owned car? We have lots of tips to help you get the right car at a good price.
Follow These Steps to Find the Perfect Used Car
- Decide on a price. Know what you can afford, and search for something that works in that.
- Build a list of vehicle makes and models you're interested in that fit into your price range. Check out our video to help find the right car for you.
- Do the research. Find internet reviews for the vehicles you're interested in, and if possible, talk to other owners of these specific cars.
- Find used cars close by, using several different sites, and take things off your list of price ranges and cars you're interested in.
- With your narrowed-down list of cars, check the vehicle history data. Stay away from cars that have been in major accidents or needed significant repairs.
- Time to contact the seller! Have some questions ready, and set up a time for a test drive.
- Schedule a test drive for daylight hours, when it will be easier to see any issues the car has.
- Go for a test drive. Drive the car like you normally would, like going on the freeway and around town.
- Have the car inspected by a trusted mechanic for any not obvious problems. If you are looking at a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle, the inspection isn't necessary as it has already been done.
- Negotiate and close the deal. Make sure the seller has given you the title and registration.
Using these helpful tips, you'll be on the road quickly!